Monday, December 3, 2007

Just your typical Saturday


I’m an early bird – there are certain responsibilities that go along with this. Ok, no one’s putting a gun to my head, telling me to make breakfast, clean up last night’s wine glasses or dust-bust hard wood floors. But at 6 am on a Saturday morning, what else is there? My routine usually goes:
· Lay in bed for half an hour, trying to go back to sleep
· Get up; I’m not falling back asleep until tonight
· Make coffee
· Flip through the miserable TV that’s on at this hour
· Clean the kitchen
· Flip through my cookbooks
· Jump on my husband, whose sound asleep…and eventually get him out of bed with the promise of a savory breakfast
This weekend I had leftover baguette…one of my favorite leftovers, because it doesn’t mold or “go bad” fast – it just gets hard.
But hard is no match for french toast! I used a basic recipe from the good ol’ Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. You can find the recipe here.
I used butter (yes, real butter) as my fat. The french toast came out fantastic. This recipe uses a lot of egg, and I like the way it soaks into the bread slightly, while keeping a nice coating that creates that soft on the inside, crispy on the outside texture that french toast is famous for. The hubs and I smothered it in gooey syrup and set together, on the couch, with smiles on our faces. I was happy that I had someone to hang out with, he was happy that he had breakfast.

No comments: