Monday, December 3, 2007

Why do they have to go so young?


As many city dwellers will agree, the holidays mean travel - out to the suburbs of our youth, out past the beltway traffic and politicos, out into the "real world". For us this means a trek up to Delaware and New Jersey.

While we fill up on childhood favorites like ham, baked pasta and home made pies, I long to return to my mini kitchen to create my own meals and traditions.


We roasted our annual turkey this weekend. Our 12 pound bird took around 3 1/2 hours to cook to a golden brown in my mini oven. I made a simple sausage stuffing inside the bird, along with mashed potatoes and asparagus with a rosemary garlic sauce.


After we ate, I put up our mini tree in a window.


Our kitchen (and our condo, for that matter) may be small, but the flavors of the food and the spirit of the holidays is big!!!! I know someday, when we're in a house we'll look back at these days and smile. These were our pre-children, urban living days, when we walked to work, to bars, to museums. These are the days when I learned to cook a turkey in a mini oven.

No comments: